SHA1 and 256 (again) :)

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Nov 18 02:55:42 UTC 2009

I vaguely remember some discussion about fixing the layout of the
checksums so that it was clear one had to run sha256sum rather than
sha1.

However, I see that it's still rather misleading in appearance--that is,
the words SHA1 sum are written there along with what I assume are the
sha256 sums.  (I didn't actually download an ISO to check, but it seems
to be a lot of numbers for an sha1.)

The nice people at distrowatch are apparently among the ones confused by
this, as their links to downloads also include links clearly marked
SHA1.

A minor issue to be sure, but those who frequent the forums know how
Those Who Wish To Try The Latest will almost certainly be confused.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Willow: Xander, wanna stay and help me?