Bug Triage workflow for F13 and beyond

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Nov 19 22:14:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 22:36 +0100, Till Maas wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:09:32AM -0500, Steven M. Parrish wrote:
>
> > For bugs filed against F13(rawhide) and beyond the keyword "Triaged" will now
> > be used to indicate that a bug report has been triaged.  BugZappers will no
> > longer change the bug state to ASSIGNED, that will now be left in the hands of
> > the package maintainers.
> >
> > BugZappers will still be using the NEEDINFO flag and closing reports as
> > duplicates.
> >
> > The wiki will soon be updated to reflect these changes.
>
> So what does this mean for automatic bug filing tools like the
> upstream-release-monitoring tool. Should it now create bugs as NEW with
> keyword Triaged and FutureFeature? Or does FutureFeature already imply
> Triaged? Or should it only be Triaged?
> Btw. is FutureFeature even documented? I cannot find it on the Bugstatus
> workflow wiki page:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/BugStatusWorkFlow

I don't know what to tell you about FutureFeature. Nothing regarding
that has changed. AFAIK it's intended for feature requests, so wouldn't
make any sense to automatically put on abrt reports.

The change here is quite simply that bugs that have been triaged should
be marked with the Triaged keyword, not by switching to the ASSIGNED
status. That's it.

I don't think abrt bugs should be filed as if they had been triaged,
because there are cases where an abrt-filed bug will still need manual
triage. The most obvious is dependency detection (many abrt-filed bugs
are dupes and abrt itself doesn't catch this often enough at present),
but there are others, like needing more specific information about
exactly what a user _did_ that triggered a particular crash. Just
because it was filed by abrt doesn't mean it doesn't need triage.

So, I would say the correct default behaviour for ABRT would just be to
file bugs as NEW, and that was the case both before and after this
policy change.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey