X server Resolution Catch-22 Fedora 12

Jim Haynes jhhaynes at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 22 23:07:56 UTC 2009

I have experienced that same problem in F11, with an LCD monitor.
Solution was to supply an xorg.conf file.  I didn't get around to
trying the X -configure that some have suggested.  What I got was
a pointer to a program that runs in Windows that will dump the mode
line suitable for use with X.  It's a pay program with a free trial,
and since I only intended to use it once I thought the free trial
was enough.

Now you're going to ask me the name of the program.  It's something
like CheckSR

You could also try installing system-config-display - I don't remember
what happened when I tried that, but it used to let you declare you have
a generic 1024x768 monitor and set the resolution to that.

jhhaynes at earthlink dot net