increasing grub timeout?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Nov 24 19:45:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 04:05:57AM -0500, Kamil Paral wrote:
> For example in the Windows world,
> the bootloader doesn't show any items and doesn't wait, but *everyone
> knows* that you just press F8 again and again on computer start if
> you want to get into the rescue mode. Even my "common users" friends
> know that (which also says something about product quality ;)).

That sounds pretty terrible for that simple reason that with many
current BIOSes F8 is used to bring a "choose your boot device" menu
(and that usually includes booting from a network).  If that key is
"stolen" that this is a serious breakage.  Or you mean that if you
will use that early enough then BIOS will handle it but if you hit
that in a proper moment, not too early and not too late, then
Windows bootloader will interpret that?  In such case you are back
to a "time that right" keystroke as is often the case with such
things in a boot sequence regardless if you are booting something or
want to get to BIOS.

    Michal