Un-asked-for-language support

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Wed Nov 25 15:47:30 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 25 of November 2009 16:17:28 Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 11/25/2009 08:10 PM, Karel Volný wrote:
> > On Wednesday 25 of November 2009 14:33:45 Rahul Sundaram
wrote:
> >> So you want the default selection to be English only. I
> >> think 350 MB of disk space isn't worth the hassle for
> >> majority of Fedora users (yes, the majority is not English)
> >> but that's just me. I will stop here.
> >
> > ahem, but *the majority* does not need support for *all* the
> > languages
>
> Sure but then you are back again to picking only English by
>  default because you can't guess which languages are needed by
>  which users and I don't think it is a good choice.

well, you see that some of the people do not share the same
opinion ... defaulting to English and having to check some
checkboxes for adding other languages is more comfortable to me
than having the system polluted with significant amount of things
I never use

>  Face it,  packages are always going to contain locale
>  information which you don't need.

never say never ... or always :-)

I remember seeing some discussion if it is doable to split the
localised data into separate packages - from what I recall, the
answer is positive in principle, so now it is just waiting for
someone to do the dirty job (btw, Gentoo already does this for a
lot of packages)

K.

--
Karel Volný