Un-asked-for-language support

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Nov 25 19:10:15 UTC 2009

> The use cases for adding a new language post-installation are the same
> for Russian as I postulated for other languages in my other post: adding
> a new user to a multi-user system, and a speaker of a different language
> starting to learn a new one. In neither of those cases would the above
> be a problem. I can't think of a convincing case where a user who only
> spoke Russian would choose to install in English and then try to add
> Russian post-install...

Right.

> the only difference here is that adding non-input-method-based language
> post installation is trivial, while adding input-method-based languages
> post-installation is not. That is why the stuff for input-method-based
> languages always gets installed by default, but stuff for
> non-input-method-based languages doesn't.

Not sure that is true, actually. Or do you mean by 'non-trivial' just
that you have to open gpk-application and install the language suppport
group for your language ?

IIRC, there was some discussion wrt to
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/YumLangpackPlugin about doing
that automatically if a user logs in with a language whose language
support group is not installed.