Fedora 12 QA retrospective - feedback needed

Jim Haynes jhhaynes at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 26 00:05:26 UTC 2009

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, Adam Williamson wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 15:37 -0600, Jim Haynes wrote:
>
>> I've been assuming there was a problem using SATA disks, with them not
>> showing up in Anaconda, until someone told me about the dregs of a
>> dmraid array on disk causing Anaconda not to show it, and using the
>> nodmraid boot option to get around it.  I never would have guessed...
>
> This is intentional behaviour on the part of the installer and is
> documented, I believe. Hence there's not much more QA can do about this.

I hope it's documented, but I sure didn't know where to go to look for it.
Partly because this was my first-ever experience with an SATA disk, and
I had no idea the disk had dregs of a dmraid array on it (nor how to get
rid of them).  I had first run across the problem in F11, then tested
that F10 would see the disk OK, and set the problem aside until F12 was
imminent.  (And then you go to a Best Buy or similar store looking at
disks and there is a poster saying SATA disks only work with Windows,
so I had further reason to be misled into thinking there was some problem
with them.)

> Well, this has been reported, but the correct method here is to use
> NetworkManager rather than system-config-network to set up the dial-up
> connection, I believe. It's something that's pretty niche for QA to have
> caught (you need to be using dial-up *and* use s-c-n rather than
> NetworkManager).

I've never learned how to use NetworkManager, and in fact I don't know
where to go to learn how.  The times it has been turned on it has done
what I don't want done.  For example with Ethernet I use fixed IP
addresses on my local LAN, and NetworkManager apparently doesn't like
that - maybe it wants me to be running a DHCP server.  And when it has
been turned on for wireless LAN I don't get a usable connection, and I
have to turn it off and bring up the wireless by hand.  So I am not
convinced NetworkManager is my friend.  My hard case is my laptop, where
I use Ethernet when I'm at home, and wireless when I travel, if it's
available, and dialup when wireless is not available.  So I know what
I want depending on the situation; NetworkManager does not.

>> I had the problem setting display resolution, but I had already been
>
> Can't tell without more data - file a bug report with the appropriate
> info as described in
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Xorg_problems . We have a
> good process for filing bugs, good documentation of how to file them
> (see link :>) and a decent triage process for handling these once
> they're filed, so I think no further QA action is needed here.

I agree, but until you mentioned it I didn't know about that wiki page -
maybe I don't spend enough time just surfing the net to see what kind
of help is out there.  I'll try that when I get home (on the road with
the laptop right now) and maybe that will help.