Standardize/ have consistency in the layout of How_to_Debug_<component> wiki pages.

Giovanni P. Tirloni tirloni at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 15:49:43 UTC 2009

On Oct 7, 2009, at 12:10 PM, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:

> Subject says it all..
>
> In short instead of individuals hacking how to debug wiki pages left
> and right and in their own style targeted different sets of audiences.

  Speaking of audiences, are we linking these How_to_debug_<component>
pages somewhere ? I'm trying to understand the path someone would
follow to find these instructions after landing on the wiki.

> We would use https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Template:How_to_debug as
> basis and target the writing of those pages to a low-knowledge
> audience .
>
> If accepted all existing How_to_debug_component pages will be
> rewritten and new how_to_debug_pages will be written using the
> Template:How_to_debug as basis.
>
> To give you example I took component which has identical procedures
> in reporting/debugging except for it's name and created a page in
> the new style/way for comparison.
> ( Note I did not write the Firefox page )
>
> The old style/way...
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Firefox_problems
>
> The new and improve style/way..
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_Debug_Thunderbird ( Warning
> may contain some ken-lee english errors I have made.. )
>
> A bit more complicated component in the new style/way
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Dracut_problems
>
> If you feel like How_to_debug template should be designed/look
> differently dont hesitate to share your opinion on how to improve it.

  The template is very nice.

  Perhaps it'd be useful to have a link to the Bugzilla page in all
How_to_debug_* pages.

> I also suggest we name those wiki pages how_to_debug_<component> as
> opposed how_to_debug_<component>_problems <--...

  Agreed. It's kind of redundant and would make page names shorter.

Giovanni P. Tirloni
tirloni at gmail.com