Standardize/ have consistency in the layout of How_to_Debug_<component> wiki pages.

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Wed Oct 7 17:18:19 UTC 2009

On 10/07/2009 04:31 PM, Christopher Beland wrote:
> Rather than writing "how to use gdb" for every application, it would
> reduce redundancy to link to a central how-to, unless there are
> application-specific quirks.  For crashes, we already have:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StackTraces

Not targeted at low-knowledge audience
> General gdb tutorials exist elsewhere, and the man and info pages might
> be good to point to, but I'm not sure there's a wiki page (or that this
> would not be redundant).

Why am I not surprised you said that...

Reporters on any knowledge-level need to be able to produce gdb if asked
for without having to read through stacks of man pages or the whole
internet for that matter...

> I was imagining that people would be coming in through:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs_and_feature_requests

I would "Image" maintainer or triager would be redirecting him to the
corresponding component "how to debug page" from bugzilla or he would be
coming directly from the component page itself.

Ask yourself this would you search for "Bugs_and_feature_requests" or
the "Component" in our wiki when your are going to file a report against
a certain component.

> It might be a good idea to put a link at the top of each "How to" page
> back to this page, saying, "If you need to file a bug, here's general
> information on how to do that.  I've added suggested language to the
> template page.

I think that info should reside under <component>#Reporting_Problems not
on the "How to debug component" page.

> [[KernelBugTriage]] and [[Anaconda/BugReporting]] have some info that
> probably belongs in [[BugZappers/How to Triage]] or [[Bugs and feature
> requests]], and some how-to pages have extra material that doesn't fit
> into the template.  I guess that sort of thing will just have to be
> taken care of during the rewrite process.

Yup.

JBG