Standardize/ have consistency in the layout of How_to_Debug_<component> wiki pages.

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Thu Oct 8 10:29:13 UTC 2009

On 10/07/2009 09:01 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 15:40 -0400, Christopher Beland wrote:
>
> Thanks to Johann for the idea and the template and everyone else for
> running with the idea!

>>> Not targeted at low-knowledge audience
>>>
>> Well, at least it's a starting point.  It might be best to put material
>> appropriate to novice users up front on that page (how to use Bug Buddy,
>> ABRT, etc.), while retaining advanced material farther down.
>>
> Yes, I think Chris' general idea is correct, but Johann is correct that
> we don't current have sufficiently good centralized info on standard
> gdb / strace use. I think the best approach would be to add the
> necessary stuff to the StackTraces page and then link to that from each
> 'how to debug' page, as Chris suggests. Johann, do you think you could
> do a draft of this, or could you, Chris?

We can create a gdb template with a link to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StackTraces encase end users wants to
learn more on how to use gdb That template could contain the
instructions of what I wrote I on the Thunderbird page so the novice
enduser can produce gdb.txt file to attache to the report without the
need to learn the whole internet before doing so.

>>> I think that info should reside under <component>#Reporting_Problems not
>>> on the "How to debug component" page.
>>>
>> A lot of components don't have homepages for which there is a Reporting
>> Problems section.  I'm not sure every component needs its own
>> homepage...
>>
>> Perhaps you have a different scope in mind than what I am thinking?  So
>> far, we have both "Bug_info_<component>" and "How_to_debug_<component>"
>> pages.  I was assuming these were essentially the same thing by
>> different names.
>>
> Yes, they are, AFAIK (Bug_info_<component> was the naming scheme I came
> up with, How_to_debug_<component> was someone else's, but we were
> designing the same kind of page).

Does not actually matter what we call these pages as long as they have
consistent naming and consistent layout.

One thing people need to ask themselves is.. Do we want to be able to
point reporters to a reporting page for a given component which will
contain all the information he needs to file a good report against the
component or do we want him to follow million links and read through
tons of man pages how to's upstream documents and more while being
redirect through the whole internet and all of this just to file a
single report..

I suggest that we have a single how to debug page for each component
which we can point the reporter to like "Hey here's the page on how to
report against the component you encountered a bug with. It contains all
the necessary information on what you need to file good report against
this component ( yes including the minimal gdb info as I wrote on the
thunderbird page ) and a couple of links encase you want to learn more
and avoid as much as possible redirecting them between pages in the wiki
or somewhere else on the intertubes for that matter..

Asking users to follow link "A" to get to page "C" which will contain
info on component "E"  always remind me on Twelve Tasks of Asterix (/Les
Douze travaux d'Astérix/ ) an animated feature film from 1976 where one
of Asterix and Obelix tasks was to find permit A38 in the place that
sends you mad! which was a mind-numbing multi-storey building founded on
bureaucracy and staffed by clinically unhelpful people who direct all
their clients to other similarly unhelpful people elsewhere in the
building.

Reporters I ask you this..

Do you want to run around in the wiki to find the info needed to file
areport against an component or do you want to have all that info on a
single page ?

JBG