F12 comments and questions

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Oct 15 00:00:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:47:06 +1100,
  Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:

> I'm on a Dell Studio XPS so it's relatively modern hardware, but it's
> not exactly cutting edge.  It's the ATI video card that seems to be
> causing most of the issues.

There have been some recent improvements from me when running with
KMS enabled.

> As justification for this, I'm happy to contribute, but without a
> working X I can't really help out until the problem is resolved, which
> I'm sure everyone would admit is a big stumbling block.  Hands up anyone
> who thinks it matters that <their favorite application> has a bug, if
> they can't get X running to use <their favorite application>.  It's fair
> to say that <their favorite application>, working or otherwise, is
> pointless without a platform to run it on.

As the maintainer of the games spin not having working graphics is a real
pain. Because my monitors don't do EDID correctly, graphics hasn't worked
right for a long time.  Now I get 800x600 by default and 3d works enough
on my ati 9200 that I can do some testing with a real games spin build.
(I use xorg.conf files and had been using nomodeset to make my systems
usable, but those are in the normal games spin.) Also testing glest
(which I recently started maintaining) is hard with 3d not working
very well.