Intel Mac Mini Audio does not work

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Oct 21 13:46:33 UTC 2009

On 10/20/2009 10:17 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 20:06 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
>> I've recently inherited an older Intel Mac Mini (Intel guts, not
>> NVIDIA). I installed F11 i386 on it and then upgraded to the F12 beta
>> (2.6.31.1-56.fc12.i686.PAE), but I can't seem to get audio to work properly.
>>
>> I created /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and put in it:
>>
>> options snd-hda-intel model=macmini
>>
>> That didn't make anything work, but it seems correct.
>>
>> I've attached the info from an alsa-info.sh run.
>>
>> When I run aplay, it seems to playback (it runs for the duration it
>> should), but no audio is coming out of either of the analog ports on the
>> back (I don't have any digital audio equipment to test the digital port).
>>
>> Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. :)
>
> Try model=auto as well as the options suggested by Johann and Stephen.
> If no model= options seem to do the trick, try poking around with the
> mixer: alsamixer -c0 . Also, run gnome-volume-control , go to the
> Hardware tab, and tell us what Profile is selected for the device.

None of the suggested model= options change anything. I've poked the
alsamixer -c0 settings without any luck. I've gone through all the
possible profile choices in gnome-volume-control, nothing causes it to
make sound.

I'm pretty sure the machine is capable of making sound, because it makes
the mac noise out its internal speaker on every reboot (although,
perhaps that is separate from the sound chip).

Any other advice?

~spot