F12 beta DVD upgrade woes?

Scott Doty scott at ponzo.net
Wed Oct 21 16:45:42 UTC 2009

Hi,

Grabbed the F12 beta DVD iso yesterday, burned it, and tried to run an
upgrade on my F11 laptop.

It proceeded smoothly and professionally, very impressive.  I had an
appointment, so I left it in the installation phase while I took
off...but alas, we had a power failure while I was gone, so it's not
clear if the installation finished properly.

The system boots, X starts up, etc. -- but attempts to run yum give an
error:

 _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_[/root]_(root at m5)_
# yum
There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

   libnssdbm3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.6.2 (r262:71600, Aug 21 2009, 12:23:57)
[GCC 4.4.1 20090818 (Red Hat 4.4.1-6)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
the yum faq at:
  http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq
 _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Investigation reveals that nss-softokn is supposed to have this file,
but it isn't installed.  Dependency problem I guess?

 Simple to fix, right?  But alas:

 _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_[/media/Fedora 12-Beta x86_64 DVD/Packages]_(root at m5)_
# rpm -i nss-softokn-3.12.4-10.fc12.x86_64.rpm
warning: nss-softokn-3.12.4-10.fc12.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 RSA/SHA256
signature: NOKEY, key ID 57bbccba
error: unpacking of archive failed on file
/etc/prelink.conf.d/nss-softokn-prelink.conf;4adf394c: cpio: Digest mismatch

Talk about frustrating!  This happens for any package I try to rpm -i
from the DVD.

I figure in the latter case, it's rpm & python that are confused,
currently booting the F12-beta DVD to run rescue mode & rpm --root
/mnt/sysimage [...] the package.

 -Scott
"vallor" on #fedora-qa