checksum/disk theories?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Oct 22 01:44:49 UTC 2009

Karel Voln wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 of October 2009 01:44:13 Tom Horsley wrote:
>> I have the f12 Beta dvd images run through "split -b 1G" on
>> a vfat usb stick. For both the i36 and the x86_64 images
>> when I do something like this:
>>
>> cat Fedora-12-Beta-x86_64-DVD.isoa* >
>>  ~/Fedora-12-Beta-x86_64-DVD.iso
>>
>> The sha256sum -c fails on the resulting file :-(. (The
>>  checksums checked OK on the original files I downloaded).
>
> something like that happened to me too ...
>
> I needed to copy a really huge file via ssh over slow Internet
> connection, that got disconnected from time to time

I expect that if you can use ssh, you can also use rsync. With suitable
options (and they are legion), rsync will happily resume and, if you
exercise some skill, repair large files.

Don't use checksum on a public server you don't own, I was discussing
this with Jason from planetmirror one time and apparently it can kill
the server.

Or sftp, but I've not used that much to find out about its
resume/recovery options.

--

Cheers
John