first experience with f12 beta

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Oct 22 14:05:51 UTC 2009

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 10/22/2009 07:19 AM, John Summerfield wrote:
>> Oh, over-zealous security nazis.[1] Easily defeated. Boot with the option
>> init=/bin/bash
>>
>> It gets you a shell (bash) and, with any luck, initrd has found your
>> disks so you can run fsck on everything.
>>
>> 1 So described because, alone, the effort is so futile. Give me physical
>> access, I own the system. Unless you use encryption.
>
> Encryption is not as full proof as you imagine.
>
> http://www.bress.net/blog/archives/162-Security-is-a-multilayered-problem.html

Sounds like stoned...

Even so, it's quite a bit more difficult.

Use BIOS passwords, grub passwords and all anyone needs to do is pop the
disk into another computer,that's why I said "physical access."

I suppose that if I created a live Fedora disk with some attractive
features, there's a good chance some here would be foolish enough to
download it and run it, but I had in mind any computer, not just those
with gullible owners.

--

Cheers
John