wireless always switched on on boot

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Oct 22 20:15:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 21:58 +0200, Hassan Ibraheem wrote:

> Sorry I used the wrong term, the problem is that the wireless
> *adapter* is always turned on on boot, not the connection.
> I can't find any relevant options in NetworkManager to disable that.
> I ran system-config-network and unchecked "Activate when system
> starts" for the wireless adapter,
> but it's still turned on on boot, It's turned on before any details
> are displayed on the screen (even before "Starting udev").

That's not really the same thing. s-c-n is for controlling the old way
of doing network configuration, its settings wouldn't kick in unless you
set the connection to be not controlled by NetworkManager. Even then,
what that checkbox would really do is just not bring the interface up by
default at boot time; the *hardware* itself would still be activated.

I don't think NM is written to assume that the settings you choose for
'Enable Networking' and 'Enable Wireless' should be preserved across
boots. Dan, what's the status of this? Is it expected behaviour for
those statuses to be preserved? If not, do you think it should be?

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey