Tame the Gnome filesystem monster!

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Oct 25 14:24:18 UTC 2009

A while back I was trying to find out how to keep my USB backup
drive from being automounted and my other unmounted partitions
out of the annoying GTK file browser. Thanks to this thread
on the linux-hotplug mailing list I discovered the answer:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/hotplug/msg02919.html

I created /etc/udev/rules.d/99-zzz-local.rules that looks like:

ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}=="BACKUP", ENV{DKD_PRESENTATION_HIDE}="1"

Repeat that line for each disk label you want hidden, and finally
things work the way they used to work before everything
decided to become so "helpful" :-).

Note: This is unique to Fedora 12 and DeviceKit-disks, previous
fedorum used hal (which needs different xml style gibberish).

I swear there is a huge market for a 600 page book named

"Linux: Make It Stop!"

(if only I knew how to write it :-).