F12beta: yum update --skip-broken via gui?

Jurgen Kramer gtmkramer at xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 26 18:36:36 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 17:29 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 10/23/2009 05:08 PM, Jurgen Kramer wrote:
> > I've just installed F12beta (x86_64) in a KVM virtual machine without
> > problems. When trying to update through System->Administration->Software
> > Update it failed because of a missing dependency. Not really a surprise
> > there. I then update through a yum update --skip-broken, that worked.
> >
> > Is there a way to do a '--skip-broken' via de gui updater? That would be
> > a really useful feature. Now you have to find the misbehaving package(s)
> > and deselect them before you can do a update. To longer the list of
> > updates...
>
> PackageKit already uses --skip-broken by default anyway. So the problem
> was likely something like a conflict which cannot be detected before the
> transaction (unlike a dependency failure) and hence would not be solved
> via --skip-broken.
>
> Rahul

Thanks, I've just experienced the same dependency resolution problem
while trying to update my F12 beta install today:

It states: xorg-x11-proto-devel conflicts with libXxf86-dga-devel

Via the GUI I cannot continue without removing xorg-x11-proto-devel from
the install list. This is not a problem when there's only one conflict.
It would be nice if PacketKit would be able to circumvent those problems
or present a list of offending/conflicting packages to deselect.

Jurgen