F12beta: yum update --skip-broken via gui?

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Mon Oct 26 18:55:55 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 19:36 +0100, Jurgen Kramer wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 17:29 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > On 10/23/2009 05:08 PM, Jurgen Kramer wrote:
> > > I've just installed F12beta (x86_64) in a KVM virtual machine without
> > > problems. When trying to update through System->Administration->Software
> > > Update it failed because of a missing dependency. Not really a surprise
> > > there. I then update through a yum update --skip-broken, that worked.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to do a '--skip-broken' via de gui updater? That would be
> > > a really useful feature. Now you have to find the misbehaving package(s)
> > > and deselect them before you can do a update. To longer the list of
> > > updates...
> >
> > PackageKit already uses --skip-broken by default anyway. So the problem
> > was likely something like a conflict which cannot be detected before the
> > transaction (unlike a dependency failure) and hence would not be solved
> > via --skip-broken.
> >
> > Rahul
>
> Thanks, I've just experienced the same dependency resolution problem
> while trying to update my F12 beta install today:
>
> It states: xorg-x11-proto-devel conflicts with libXxf86-dga-devel
>
> Via the GUI I cannot continue without removing xorg-x11-proto-devel from
> the install list. This is not a problem when there's only one conflict.
> It would be nice if PacketKit would be able to circumvent those problems
> or present a list of offending/conflicting packages to deselect.

Jurgen,

With a painfully slow network connection I'm slogging through a
work-around that in 2-3 more days may complete a GUI install. I simply
deselected the Development groups I think contain one or both of those
packages and let 'er rip. As I write this the progress bar is at 2148 of
5607 packages. After the initial installatin is comlete, I can go back
and install the Development groups I skipped, isolating the one or two
errant packages (if they haven't been fixed by then).

--Doc