F12 Beta install issue

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Oct 26 20:01:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 07:09 +0100, toddbailey wrote:
> So I have a pII 400 mhx w/ 256m memory
>
> Because it's a dinosaur, installing beta not a problem, for testing.
>
> it complained that it could do a graphical install.
> And with out this tool I may not be able to configure networking properly
>
> Assistance is requested to force the install the gnome environment.
>
> suggestions--

You can use system-config-network to configure the network, then do:

yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"

to install GNOME. As Aioanei says, GNOME may be slow on a 256MB RAM
system, you may want to try:

yum groupinstall "LXDE"

for something that'll be a bit lighter and faster.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey