New kernel in F12

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Oct 26 20:30:13 UTC 2009

Just a note that the kernel build in F12 was updated over the weekend,
from 56 (which shipped in beta) to 96. This has quite a few changes
queued up, so if all F12 testers can please reboot and make sure the new
kernel works, that'd be great.

if you have a kernel-related bug filed, please test if it's still
present with the new kernel. That includes most graphics issues, since
bits of graphics are now done in the kernel.

This kernel disables debugging. It would be interesting to know if this
affects performance of Radeon systems, especially with KMS enabled. If
you had slow performance with a Radeon with KMS enabled and switched to
nomodeset to work around it, it'd be great if you could try a boot with
KMS enabled with kernel -96 and see if the performance is acceptable
now.

The disabling of debugging should also mean the NVIDIA proprietary
driver can be installed without problems now, for those who want/need to
use it. Obviously this is outside the remit of Fedora, but I thought I'd
note it.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey