Nouveau doesn't play nice with vanilla kernels

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Oct 27 17:06:22 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 12:10 -0400, Jim wrote:
> On 10/27/2009 10:29 AM, Aioanei Rares wrote:
> >>>
> >> Yes, If you updated the new kernel-2.6.31.5-96 yesterday get rid of
> >> it and bootup
> >> in old kernel.
> >> I had the same problem.
> >>
> > Thanks, but then the first issue remains : why can't nouveau start X
> > with vanilla kernels?
> >
> I use a nvidia 8200 card and it won't detect nouveau either.
> I installed system-config-display and went into change driver , my card
> is detected with a Vesa driver.
> I selected nouveau and restarted   X  but it will only accept a higher
> resolution and would not allow me to keep my settings at 1024x768.

Most modern drivers use a different method for specifying resolutions.
This was introduced with RandR 1.2. s-c-d has never been updated to use
this.

You can use gnome-display-properties to change the resolution inside
GNOME (and configure multiple displays, and a few other things) and any
changes you made are saved via gconf, so they will be applied each time
that user logs in. If you want to set them system-wide so they apply to
all users and desktops and login managers, you'll have to edit xorg.conf
manually according to this guide:

http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

s-c-d is pretty obsolescent these days, it probably needs to be revised
or shot in the head soon.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey