VMware Workstation 7 and rawhide

Nathan Grennan fedora-test-list at cygnusx-1.org
Wed Oct 28 00:25:08 UTC 2009

   Today I installed VMware Workstation 7 build 203739 x86_64 on my
rawhide system. It runs, but has issues with guests crashing when I try
to move the mouse cursor outside the guest's display area. In a terminal
window I get errors like the one below. The urls below are threads on
VMware's forums talking about the issue. It seems to have been narrowed
down to glibc-2.10.90. I looked into downgrading to 2.10.1, but found
that can't be done without breaking half the system. Like others I tried
downgrading libX11, without success.

  It get the impression from a little research that I have done that
Fedora 12 is going to be a mess with random applications, because of the
newer glibc. glibc's home page says 2.10.1 is the current stable
release. glibc-2.10.90 seems to be getting lots of fixes as of late.
glibc being such a core package can break almost anything if it isn't
stable. Fedora 12's release is only three weeks away.

vmware-vmx: xcb_io.c:542: _XRead: Assertion `dpy->xcb->reply_data !=
((void *)0)' failed.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/236673?tstart=45
http://communities.vmware.com/thread/229891?start=15&tstart=0