Standardize/ have consistency in the layout of How_to_Debug_<component> wiki pages.

Christopher Beland beland at alum.mit.edu
Wed Oct 7 19:40:55 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 17:18 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StackTraces
>
> Not targeted at low-knowledge audience

Well, at least it's a starting point.  It might be best to put material
appropriate to novice users up front on that page (how to use Bug Buddy,
ABRT, etc.), while retaining advanced material farther down.

> > General gdb tutorials exist elsewhere, and the man and info pages might
> > be good to point to, but I'm not sure there's a wiki page (or that this
> > would not be redundant).
> >

> Why am I not surprised you said that...
>
> Reporters on any knowledge-level need to be able to produce gdb if asked
> for without having to read through stacks of man pages or the whole
> internet for that matter...

> > I was imagining that people would be coming in through:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs_and_feature_requests
> >

> I would "Image" maintainer or triager would be redirecting him to the
> corresponding component "how to debug page" from bugzilla or he would be
> coming directly from the component page itself.
>
> Ask yourself this would you search for "Bugs_and_feature_requests" or
> the "Component" in our wiki when your are going to file a report against
> a certain component.

There are a number of pages (and people) that point to
Bugs_and_feature_requests as "general instructions on how to file bugs"
without knowing which component the bug concerns.  It's certainly very
likely many people will land on the page directly from a search engine.

> > It might be a good idea to put a link at the top of each "How to" page
> > back to this page, saying, "If you need to file a bug, here's general
> > information on how to do that.  I've added suggested language to the
> > template page.
>
> I think that info should reside under <component>#Reporting_Problems not
> on the "How to debug component" page.

A lot of components don't have homepages for which there is a Reporting
Problems section.  I'm not sure every component needs its own
homepage...

Perhaps you have a different scope in mind than what I am thinking?  So
far, we have both "Bug_info_<component>" and "How_to_debug_<component>"
pages.  I was assuming these were essentially the same thing by
different names.  After all, if you are doing a really good job at
diagnosing a bug, you employ debugging techniques.  At some point, the
debugging process is likely to be exhausted to the capacity of the
reader, and a bug report will need to be filed.  The
information-gathering techniques needed to file a thorough bug report
overlap with debugging techniques.  So I would expect the audience of
How_to_debug pages to range from people who are having problems with a
given component, who may want to either gather minimal information
necessary to file a useful bug report, or who may want to spend a lot of
time isolating the cause and perhaps even filing a patch themselves.

-B.