dracut speed and kernel version

Adam Pribyl pribyl at lowlevel.cz
Mon Oct 12 16:28:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Harald Hoyer wrote:

> On 10/09/2009 10:20 PM, Adam Pribyl wrote:
>> This is my first time I was forced to "hand use" dracut, because
>> initramfs build by kernel install does not work (due to kexec-tool bug).
>>
>> But I was surprised by few thinks:
>>
>> 1. dracut accepts as a kernel version non existing kernel name and
>> builds the initramfs - this is really crazy (there are some warnings,
>> but it tooks a bit of time before first "File does not exist".)
>>

> You are right.. will add a precheck.

Thanks.

>> 2. dracut initramfs build takes ages compared to mkinitrd
>
> Does it really matter? How often do you build an initramfs per week?

Well... speed allways mathers. I am not using it daily today, but remember
the time when I was looking for proper module preload configuration for
some rare scsi device and was building it very often. I am under
impression that with every kernel build you need to regenerate initramfs,
to have correct modules loaded on next reboot.. and this I was used to do
very often. Then every delay counts.

>> 3. dracut spits some confusing warnings, I am not sure what to do with:
>> W: Possible missing firmware aic94xx-seq.fw for module aic94xx.ko
>> W: Possible missing firmware ql8100_fw.bin for module qla2xxx.ko
>> W: Possible missing firmware ql2500_fw.bin for module qla2xxx.ko
>> W: Possible missing firmware ql2400_fw.bin for module qla2xxx.ko
>> W: Possible missing firmware ql2322_fw.bin for module qla2xxx.ko
>> W: Possible missing firmware ql2300_fw.bin for module qla2xxx.ko
>> W: Possible missing firmware ql2200_fw.bin for module qla2xxx.ko
>> W: Possible missing firmware ql2100_fw.bin for module qla2xxx.ko
>>
>> Am I doin' something wrong or this is expected behaviour?
>
> Well, there are some modules which might require a firmware. Dracut is only
> reporting that they are missing. Just in case...
> Maybe I should suppress these warnings.. what do you think?

I would suppress them, let them print in "debug" mode.

>> Adam Pribyl

Adam Pribyl