any list for test installing f12 beta on my x86_64 laptop?

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Wed Oct 14 13:06:15 UTC 2009

Hey Robert,

On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 07:03 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i'm just about to install f12 beta x86_64 on one of my ubiquitous
> gateway mx7120 laptops (broadcom wireless, ATI video), so i'm open to
> suggestions as to anything specific i should stress test.
>
>   obviously, i'll be checking if wireless is still fairly
> straightforward to install (is there a URL for f12 wireless i should
> be referencing?), and i'll check if radeon video drivers are still
> totally borked.
>
>   is there a walkthrough of what one should do in terms of testing?
> might as well be thorough while i'm here.

There are a few things you can help provide feedback on when it comes to
testing.  I'm borrowing from comments Adam shared with me in an email a
while back.  The instructions below offer some quick suggestions, as
well as links to additional testing if you have additional time.

As you've already done, start with some details about your hardware.  If
possible, include a link to your smolt profile [1].

Next, how was your install experience?
      * Tell us how you installed (CD, DVD, Live image, boot.iso, PXE,
        RAID, LVM etc...).  Ideally, provide feedback by updating the
        Install Test Matrix [2]
      * Should you encounter problems we can discuss them on the list
        here.  I would also suggest looking at the Anaconda bug
        reporting guide [3]

Next, how was your boot experience?
      * Did it boot successfully? (sometimes best to start there!)
      * Was the boot a flicker/artifact free graphical experience?
      * Were any workarounds or cfg changes required (e.g. booting
        "nomodeset")?

Finally, any issues encountered setting up and using your system?
      * Again, are the graphics [4][5][6] and display [7] behaving as
        expected?
      * Does logging into your preferred desktop behave as expected?
      * Were you able to establish a network connection? (You might even
        try some test cases [8])?
      * You can find additional desktop fit'n'finish test areas and
        cases on the wiki [9]

Happy testing!
James

[1] http://smolts.org/smolt-wiki/Main_Page#Usage