broadcom wireless worked out of the box

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Oct 14 16:35:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:05:08 -0400,
  "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>   actually, upon closer inspection, i can see the directory
> /lib/firmware/b43, and rpm tells me it's part of the b43-openfwwf
> package, so can i assume that's why it just plain works in f12?  i
> don't recall that package from earlier releases.

That is a relatively new package. That firmware may not work (or work as
well as Broadcom's firmware) for everyone. I think there are some limitations
on the supported connection modes as compared to Broadcom's firmware.
But still it is nice, as it gives you another way to have a network
connection so that you can get Broadcom's firmware if you prefer it.
Presumably this firmware will get further development as time goes by since
the source is available. You might check the project web page to get the
current status of the firmware.