progress report: f12 beta x86_64 on gateway mx7120

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Oct 14 17:40:06 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 08:58 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> my biggest worry regarding this install was whether video would work
> properly (ati radeon xpress 200M).  after the installation (which
> seemed to go fine), the reboot brought me back to the firstboot(?)
> stuff, at which point the resolution being used was off to the point
> where the "Cancel" and whatever other buttons that are normally at the
> lower right were completely invisible -- they were clearly off the
> border of the display somewhere in that direction.
>
>   the only way i could get thru that firstboot content was to use TAB
> and guess which button i was pressing.  i eventually got through that
> and logged in, at which point "xdpyinfo" told me it was using a
> resolution of 2080x800, when the actual display res is only 1280x800.

in addition to the root cause of this, which we're discussing elsewhere,
it occurs to me that this is probably also a bug in firstboot (or, more
specifically, in whatever WM we're using to run firstboot). it shouldn't
span the firstboot window across both displays - even when you can see
both, that's going to look silly. I'll look into this further and file a
bug if/where appropriate.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey