F12 comments and questions

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Oct 15 04:46:57 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 14:50 +1100, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> The best graphics experience I've had with Linux (which for me is
> Fedora
> and Centos) has been using the proprietary nvidia driver (and that has
> times sucked badly too).  And while I'm willing to go without 3D
> support
> on my work desktop, basics like having a stable desktop, and having
> suspend/resume support aren't in my opinion small issues to be
> ignored.

No-one ever said they were.

nouveau bugs closed during F12 Rawhide cycle: 53
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=Fedora&product=Fedora&component=xorg-x11-drv-nouveau&version=rawhide&bug_status=CLOSED&chfieldfrom=2009-05-01&chfieldto=Now&chfield=bug_status&chfieldvalue=CLOSED

radeon bugs closed during F12 Rawhide cycle: 80
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=Fedora&product=Fedora&component=xorg-x11-drv-ati&version=rawhide&bug_status=CLOSED&chfieldfrom=2009-05-01&chfieldto=Now&chfield=bug_status&chfieldvalue=CLOSED

intel bugs closed during F12 Rawhide cycle: 58
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=Fedora&product=Fedora&component=xorg-x11-drv-intel&version=rawhide&bug_status=CLOSED&chfieldfrom=2009-05-01&chfieldto=Now&chfield=bug_status&chfieldvalue=CLOSED

Fedora works hard on these components. They're priorities for triage,
blocker review, everything else. Red Hat works hard on these components.
We pay more X.org developers than any other distributor, as far as I
know. We're the only distribution who pays lead upstream developers to
work on all three drivers, as well as the rest of X.org, including the
server itself.

I'm just trying to make the point that both RH and Fedora work extremely
hard on these components. You seem to be implying that (both RH and
Fedora) we don't, which is not the case.

> Ironically, I chose my current laptop (with it's ATI chipset) because
> thought the ATI support was supposed to be reasonable and because I
> admired Fedora stance on free software and avoiding unsupported,
> proprietary drivers.  (I now recommend people using nvidia and and
> proprietary drivers, or intel if they have to and avoid ATI all
> together)

I'm not sure why you'd have got that impression. ATI is getting a lot
better recently, but it's still not really on a level with Intel as far
as free driver support goes, or NVIDIA as far as proprietary driver
support goes.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey