checksum/disk theories?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Oct 21 02:45:17 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> said:
> Tom Horsley wrote:
> >Has bash started randomly ordering wildcard expansion or something?
>
> I don't think bash has ever ordered the files. Instead, they're listed
> in the order matched.

Nope, per the standard, shell glob results "sorted according to the
collating sequence in effect in the current locale" (from IEEE Std
1003.1-2008).

The only thing I can think of is a random bit-flip on your USB stick.
The shell and "cat" are large-file safe, so even if you were running
this on a 32 bit host, you should have no problems.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>