first experience with f12 beta

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Oct 22 01:49:46 UTC 2009

� wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just installed f12 beta on my infamous HP dv9237eu laptop. I read that
> suspend will now work even when you have nvidia graphics adapter.
> I try suspend to disk on kde, screen goes black but the cpu fan keeps
> rolling. System seems frozen so I have to use power button to shutdown.
>
> Now when I boot I see:
>
> *** An error occured during the file system check.
>     *** ...
>         *** ...
>             *** ...
>                 Give root password for maintenance
>                     (or type Control-D to continue):
>

> Indent looks weird but who cares. Now if I press ANY key I get:
>     Login incorrect.
>         Give root password for maintenance
>             (or type Control-D to continue):
>
> Control-D does not work and I can't type root password. How can I boot
> normally?

Oh, over-zealous security nazis.[1] Easily defeated. Boot with the option
init=/bin/bash

It gets you a shell (bash) and, with any luck, initrd has found your
disks so you can run fsck on everything.

1 So described because, alone, the effort is so futile. Give me physical
access, I own the system. Unless you use encryption.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait