F12 beta live installs

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Thu Oct 22 19:02:34 UTC 2009

On 10/22/2009 06:28 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 16:01 +0200, Birger Wathne wrote:
>
>> I have tested a few installs on my idle test PC.
>>
>> Overall, a nice new release with exciting news and a few blockers.
>> Beautiful theme (as always).
>>

>> Fedora 12 x86_64 live CD
>>
>> Comes up nicely with 1920x1200 resolution using nouveau driver.
>> I must have pressed enter to wake up the display, as I found myself logged
>> in without selecting keyboard layout. The default was USA layout. Easy
>> enough to correct.
>>
> There's a time-out on the login - if you leave it sitting at GDM long
> enough, it just logs itself in with default options.
>

>> Installed to hard drive
>> Installed on entire drives
>> Selected Review and modify
>> Deleted all lvm stuff, built a raid1 device for /home and rebuilt the lvm vg
>> for swap and /
>> Creating filesystems took a long time. I would prefer to answer all
>> questions first so I could leave the PC.
>> The reboot button on the last screen didn't reboot. Just terminated the
>> installer.
>> Rebooted and left.
>> When I came back the CD tray was ejected and the screen black. Nothing
>> would wake the screen, so I removed the CD and forcefully rebooted. See the
>> i686 install below for more info.
>> Booted nicely, went through firstboot, setting up my local NTP servers, etc.
>> Set up a local user.
>> Logged in, and the default keyboard was still USA...
>> Logged out and selected correct keyboard at login.
>> Still USA layout after login!
>> Went to system->preferences->Keyboard. USA was the only layout listed.
>> Added Norwegian and removed USA.
>> Logged out and selected my user. The keyboard selector at the login screen
>> still says USA. Ignored it and entered my password.
>> Got correct keyboard layout.
>> Login screen keyboard layout selector seems to not work at all. Keyboard
>> selection at install doesn't have any effect on the default after install.
>>
> I believe it's only meant to set the keyboard layout *for GDM* (if you
> set your username and password with, oh, a Russian keyboard layout,
> trying to enter them with an English one is unlikely to work
> spectacularly well :>). I could be wrong here, though.

No this is a regression..

In a perfect pony world after the install you should have the keyboard
layout you select during install.
( thou I cant recalling that to ever work since F8 or to be precise the
removal of xorg.conf  ).

X/Gnome seems not only be adding the USA keyboard layout back to the
users account after he removes it but defaulting to it as well.

We need to add locale or at least an none USA keyboard layout to
autoqa's test queue.

JBG