system-config-display in F12 Beta fails with nouveau/Nvidia FX5200

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Oct 26 20:03:47 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 08:20 +0100, Joachim Backes wrote:
> I installed F12 Beta from scratch, and X11 was installed on my 1280x1024
> screen correctly (Video card Nvidia FX5200) with the nouveau driver.
>
> Now I tried to install a new xorg.conf by using system-config-display
> (for experimental reasons), but it failed with and without the
> --reconfig option.
>
> Somebody made similar experiences?

system-config-display has its own auto-detection logic which is not the
same as X.org's. For most cards it gets the same result, but not all.
For NVIDIA cards, s-c-d will give you a config that tries to use the
'nv' driver, not 'nouveau'. This fails because the nouveau kernel driver
gets loaded automatically on boot, and nv won't work as long as the
nouveau kernel module is loaded.

If you just change the 'nv' in the xorg.conf to 'nouveau' it ought to
work. I'll update your bug to explain the problem (and provide a patch,
if I'm un-lazy enough).

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey