Gnash and rawhide

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Oct 26 20:22:13 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 19:30 +0200, Aioanei Rares wrote:
> On 10/26/2009 07:23 PM, Riku Seppälä wrote:
> > On 10/26/2009 07:15 PM, Aioanei Rares wrote:
> >> As stated in http://lwn.net/Articles/357770/ , gnash should work ok with
> >> youtube pages. However, on my amd64 rawhide machine, when I try to open
> >> something in youtube, I get two pop-up windows(see attachment). Note
> >> that I did yum install gstreamer* just to be sure.
> >>

> > Yeah you need gstreamer-ffmpeg (and maybe some others?) to watch
> > youtube videos. You can get gstreamer-ffmpeg from rpm fusion.
> > http://rpmfusion.org/
> >
> > Riku
> >
> I know, but it kinda defeats the purpose, that being using FREE software
> only, right?

gstreamer-ffmpeg (and ffmpeg itself) is free, but patent-encumbered in
the U.S. If you live somewhere where software patents are not valid,
then you have no problem using it.

Those who find this works just by installing Gnash are usually using
distributions with somewhat less strict patent policies than Fedora.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey