Fedora Server distro?

Rob Healey robhealey1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 06:43:56 UTC 2009

Dear Scott Robbins:

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 08:01:58PM -0700, Rob Healey wrote:
> Greetings All:
>
> I have been around redhat and fedora project for a very long time, but I
am
> asking the question that I probably already have the answer!
>
> With all of the bleeding edge, and my love for it, is there a server
distro out
> there?  I am looking for the help from the rest of you that have more
> knowledge than I do!

I am assuming you are well aware of RH (paid) and CentOS (free).

Yes, but I never have played around with CentOS yet...  I saw that you were
able to create a server out of yours, but do you know if there is a CentOS
Server distro or would you be willing to write up a howto on how you did it?

Recently on the forums, someone mentioned they're running a legacy F2 or
something like that--we still have a few F4 boxes, and actually, they
run rather nicely.  We're also very careful of how they're protected.

You said something about protecting them, in regards to what?

If you mean something in between Fedora's bleeding edge and short
lifetime but newer than a 2.6.18 kernel....

I know that some people would think and have said that I am crazy for using
bleeding edge, but I do love it.  I may not be able to have the latest and
greatest in computers, but I can play around with the latest and greatest
software versions out there...

Well, I'd be curious to know about it too. I'm surprised no one's
created one.  The best compromise that I've seen (at least in theory,
not having used it), is Ubuntu's LTS (Long Term Support) offering--it's
newer, and Debian based things tend to (again, this is all theory) be
easier to upgrade than RH based ones.  (Though, again, thanks to the
hard work of many, Fedora seems to be getting better and better at
that.)

I am totally surprised that no one has created a bleeding edge Fedora Server
distro either!  I would love to see one for sure...

One can, with some work, get CentOS to work relatively well as a
desktop--I'm sort of writing this from there (actually ssh-ing into a
BSD box, but from my CentOS workstation-cum-desktop-cum-
server.)

Would you be willing to write a howto off from the work that you have done
in getting CentOS to work as a server for you?  I do not know enough about
it to make it work.  There is a guideline of creating a Fedora Server on
http://www.brennan.id.au, but it is so out of date now....

My very general, uninformed, subjective impression from Fedora forums is
that such a beast would be welcomed.

> I appreciate any help that you can give to me in this regard...

I don't know if this was any help at all, but the good thing about
posting something vague like it, is that it will inspire someone who
knows better to jump in and correct me.  :)

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

http://xkcd.com/386/

--