Install 12 Alpha Using USB Stick

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Tue Sep 1 00:09:33 UTC 2009

n 08/31/2009 06:55 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> So I reluctantly burned the DVD and used that to install the Alpha.
>> Obviously, the installer isn't working right: X failed to start,
>>
> Well, that doesn't mean the installer's broken. It could mean X is
> broken. :) What's your hardware?

Hi Adam!

You are quite right. I'm installing on a Dell Latitude E6400 laptop with
an Nvidia card:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Quadro NVS 160M
(rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
     Subsystem: Dell Device 0233
     Memory at f5000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
     Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable)
     Memory at f2000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
     I/O ports at df00
     Capabilities: <access denied>
     Kernel modules: nouveau

This baby is normally docked to a Dell docking station, and is connected
to a 24" Dell 2407WFP, LCD monitor. I use the wide monitor for all my
work and pretty much ignore the laptop's monitor.
> Well, kernel 2.6.31 hasn't actually been released yet, in all fairness.
> We're shipping pre-release versions of it in Rawhide. I wouldn't expect
> any 'stable' distro to ship a pre-release kernel (though hey, we did it
> in Mandriva more than once...)

True, true, and I have no experience with how often the Arch people
release their kernels and other package updates. I realize I should make
some effort to be really fair with them. A lot of my amazing fairness
sort flew away when I cruised over to the Arch site yesterday and found
it was down! Down, just when I needed to install X and wanted
authoritative how-to documentation! The fedoraproject.org website never
has been...at least it's never gone down just when I needed it. And I
needed the Arch site yesterday. It's up and running now. Score points
for Fedora: development kernels and documentation, too! On the good
side, I did manage to get X installed on Arch by following directions
that someone posted to a non-Arch website. It looks like a sick sloth,
but it works. Now that I've done my ration of whining for one Alpha,
I'll try to be fair all around...

Cheers

Bob