How to know if a bug has been reported before?

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Tue Sep 1 18:53:49 UTC 2009

> On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 10:35 +0800, rhe wrote:
> > Greeting guys,
> >
> > Hi, when a bug is found, is there any way to check out if this bug has
> > been reported or not? I did it just by searching the key words in
> > bugzilla. But I think there may be other ways better than that. do you
> > have any idea to share with me?
>
> That's pretty much it. I sometimes do a Google search as well (search
> keywords with site:bugzilla.redhat.com) - it sometimes finds things
> Bugzilla's own search misses. If the bug is in a fairly small component,
> you can do a search for all bugs reported on that component in Rawhide,
> and have a quick scan through; that's more reliable in the case where
> the other person who reported the bug didn't think of the same keywords
> as you :)

I do just about the same as Adam suggests.  Sometimes that
"site:bugzilla.redhat.com" google search is fastest.  I also have a few
firefox smart keyword bookmarks setup
(http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Smart+keywords and
http://johnbokma.com/firefox/keymarks-explained.html) for searches that
I frequently do.