ldap authentication broken in rawhide?

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at redhat.com
Wed Sep 2 15:31:26 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 03:52:37PM -0700, David L wrote:
> I'm trying to authenticate with LDAP in rawhide, and
> I can't log in.  The same ldap.conf file works in f11.
> My sysadmin created that file several fedora releases
> ago and it has worked just copying it forward until
> now.  I know he added stuff that can't be added with
> system-config-authentication -> configure ldap, and
> I don't understand all of the changes that he made.
> Is anybody else having problems with LDAP in rawhide?

The only think I can think of that's different is that nss-ldapd was
added, so that if you have it installed, you're using it instead of
nss_ldap for looking up user and group information.

In the nss-ldapd %post, a number of settings are migrated into
/etc/nss-ldapd.conf from /etc/ldap.conf, and the service is enabled if
the system has ben configured to consult LDAP for user and group
information.

None of the schema mapping configuration (which you are probably using
if the directory server is AD) gets pulled in, but as nss-ldapd isn't
part of the default installation set, and nothing should be pulling it
in as a dependency, I'd be surprised to see it on your system if it
wasn't explicitly selected for installation.

Can you perhaps provide more details about your configuration?  What was
added to the config file after system-config-authentication wrote it?

Nalin