mixing x86_64 and i686 packages???

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sat Sep 12 10:02:17 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:19:11PM -0700, Rob Healey wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> This my first time having a 64bit system, so I am a newbie here as far as
> x86_64 goes, but not with Linux. Â Fedora/ Redhat in particular!!!
>
> I have noticed that there are a lot of software out there for Fedora, but some
> of it is only i686! Â Like Opera and Adobe Reader in particular... Â They list
> a ton of i686 dependencies when trying to install them. Â Is it ok to mix
> x86_64 and i686 on the same system???

Opera has 64 bit versions, and it's usually selected automatically from
their download dialog.  (Though there may be be some 32 bit
dependencies, I don't think so--sometimes, you have to install QT if you
don't have it already, and possibly a few other things.)

However, yes, it's OK to mix them.
On occasion, there will be problems, such as the nss-mdns issue that
occurred with chromium browser, wine, and a few other programs that
installed a 32 nss-mdns which broke DNS for many people (though it was
easily fixed by making sure you had the 64 bit version installed as
well.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Every time you show up like this, you risk all your parts,
you know that?
Spike: I wouldn't be here if I didn't have a good reason. As
usual, I'm here to help you and I... are you naked under there?
Buffy: Get out.
Spike: No, I'm serious. I mean, not about the naked part...