Dracut Questions

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 20:49:55 UTC 2009

I read that dracut is to replace initrd and nash in f12.

I installed f12α, but dracut was not there, only the old
initrd and nash.

If I want to change to dracut, what do I do? Which packages
do I need to install, etc?

Does it make an initram on the fly, or do I install a
package? I noticed that there is dracut-kernel and dracut-
generic available, along with a host of other packages.

Do I uninstall nash and initrd? Or do I keep them as a fall-
back? If so, how would I configure that? What changes do I
make to grub.conf and elsewhere to enable dracut and disable
nash/initrd?

A concern: Does it work reliably? I am not going to face a
situation where I boot and encounter a kernel panic and be
unable to get into my system because there is no initram or
something? That could be almost impossible to solve :-(