Fedora KVM not ready for Prime Time.

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Sep 20 03:26:32 UTC 2009

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 19:15:15 -0700
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:

> So the Fedora virtual machine is practically a pre-usb pc,
> four to eight usb porta short of a full deck.

Actually, I think a lot of this stuff is just hidden
(the latest gnome gui design philosophy seems to be
"never make anything obvious" :-).

When you "Open" a virtual machine, the "Details"
tab has an "Add Hardware" button you can navigate
through many panels (designed with the gnome philosophy)
and eventually find a add physical device of the USB
variety. I've never tried it, but I did see it while
poking around, so I don't know how well it works.

Also, in "Add Hardware" if you follow the "Storage"
path, you'll eventually get to a dialog where you can
define new "storage pools". (Of course, as near as I
can tell, this means you need to define a virtual machine
first before you can define a new storage pool :-).

By the way, unless some recent update has fixed it,
you'll want to say you are installing Windows Vista
even if you are actually installing XP - this way
virt-manager will design a machine with ACPI support,
without which, you won't be able to get XP to
shutdown.

All the above comments are for fedora 11, but I
think virt-manager is pretty similar in 12.