Blinking in gnome-terminal and xfce Terminal

Aioanei Rares schaiba at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 13:35:56 UTC 2009

Hi all, I encounter a "feature" in gnome-terminal and Terminal in
Rawhide : consider the following code :

#include <stdio.h>
#include <curses.h>
#include <ncurses.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main()
{
    int ch;
    initscr();

    raw();/* Line buffering disabled*/
    keypad(stdscr, TRUE);/* We get F1, F2 etc..*/
    noecho();/* Don't echo() while we do getch */

    printw("Type any character to see it in bold\n");
    ch = getch();/* If raw() hadn't been called
          *  * we have to press enter before it
          *  * gets to the program */
    if(ch == KEY_F(1))/* Without keypad enabled this will */
      printw("F1 Key pressed");/*  not get to us either*/
    /* Without noecho() some ugly escape
     *  * charachters might have been printed
     *  * on screen*/
    else if(ch == KEY_F(2))
      printw("F2 Key pressed");
    else if(ch == KEY_F(3))
      printw("F3 key pressed.");
    else if(ch == KEY_F(4))
      printw("F4 Key pressed.");
    else
      {
     printw("The pressed key is ");
     attron(A_BOLD);
     printw("%c", ch);
     attroff(A_BOLD);
      }
    move(5,10);
    addstr("this is blink->");
    addch('H' | A_BLINK);

    refresh();/* Print it on to the real screen */
    getch();/* Wait for user input */
    endwin();/* End curses mode  */

    return 0;
}

Well, only in konsole I get the H to blink like it should; in
gnome-terminal and Terminal it shows all the time. What gives?