Preupgrade to rawhide?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Sep 24 16:23:29 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 01:11 +0300, shmuel siegel wrote:

> If I am reading the X.org logs correctly, I am using nv and not nouveau.

That's possible, but can you post the relevant logs to confirm it?

> Does anaconda run with nv.

It works with any working X driver. If your question is 'why is my
system using nv not nouveau' and your proposed answer is 'because
anaconda intentionally uses nv not nouveau', no, that's not right.

> Maybe nouveau is not supporting my device.

That's probably it. There is a small set of cards that are known not to
work with nouveau which we blacklist to use nv instead. Yours may be one
of these. The output of 'lspci -nn' would help me confirm that.

> GEFORCE 6100 seems to be a device that the world prefers didn't exist.
> Can I do both nouveau.modeset=0 and nv.modeset=0

nv.modeset=0 would not do anything. The nv driver does not support
kernel modesetting, and there is no kernel module called 'nv' (the
kernel command parameter 'foo.modeset=0' passes the option 'modeset=0'
to the kernel module 'foo', so nv.modeset=0 just doesn't make any sense
at all).

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey