Preupgrade to rawhide?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Sep 24 20:09:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 22:51 +0300, shmuel siegel wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 01:11 +0300, shmuel siegel wrote:
> >
> >> If I am reading the X.org logs correctly, I am using nv and not nouveau.
> >>
> > That's possible, but can you post the relevant logs to confirm it?
> >
> I was referring to the xorg log of the running f11 system. The display
> config dialog box also said that I am using nv so I trust it.

That's a bad idea. system-config-display does not tell you what X.org
auto-configuration would do. It has its own, quite different,
configuration logic, and it gives you the result of that. what s-c-d
says is not necessarily either a) what you're currently actually using
or b) what X server would auto-detect.

> Besides,
> when I deliberately switched to nouveau with the display dialog and
> tried to reset x, x got into a permanent retry loop.
> >> Maybe nouveau is not supporting my device.
> >>

> > That's probably it. There is a small set of cards that are known not to
> > work with nouveau which we blacklist to use nv instead. Yours may be one
> > of these. The output of 'lspci -nn' would help me confirm that.
> >
> So it could be that the install is trying to use a nouveau driver and
> this is causing my hang.

Um. Not really. This blacklisting is done in the X server's
auto-detection code, which the installer uses just like a regular
desktop does.

> How do I verify?

Please provide the output I asked you for.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey