Real mail addresses in list postings and resulting **SPAM**

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Fri Sep 25 07:18:25 UTC 2009

> > Fedora list archives are managed/displayed but rather one of
> > preparing incoming messages before postingthem to the list
> > subscribers. Any subscriber could help of course by
> > removing/obfuscating real mail addresses in the message body
> > before posting it to the list.
>
> Except a lot of us believe that this is pointless  ...

I wonder what would happen if all this energy spent on
obfuscating and setting up spamassassin etc. would be spent on
tracking down the spammers and punishing them

for example, in Czech Republic, there were just 1458 reports
resulting in 81 penalty fees for breaking the "antispam" law
during 2008, which is a sad number considering the number of
Internet users here - if everyone would bother to report, I bet
there would be no Czech spam now

... also, as many countries do not have the appropriate laws,
things like fierce disconnecting ill Windows machines
participating in botnets would help a lot

K.

--
Karel Volný
QE BaseOs/Daemons Team