what is going on with "/dev/dm" [important!]

Richard Ryniker ryniker at alum.mit.edu
Tue Sep 29 00:28:21 UTC 2009

>I am still a bit puzzled with the /dev/dm-N situation.  I have read the
>comments in Bug #507461 and Bug #497259 and am a bit unclear why /dev/dm-N
>shows up.

In F11, if /etc/fstab contains an entry where a logical volume is denoted
by something like "/dev/mapper/vg_ryniker-lv_root" then that
identification appears when the mount command lists mounted filesystems.

If a logical volume is denoted by UUID, such as
"UUID=f46b989b-d781-420c-a064-386c85d7bc67", this mounted filesystem is
identified by something like "/dev/dm-2".

This observation may not apply to F12 (sorry, I cannot check that right
now); if it is true, this suggests a way to obtain the output format you
seek.