Anaconda on a Test Day CD?

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Tue Sep 29 17:04:15 UTC 2009

On 09/29/2009 03:54 PM, Kamil Paral wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there's the idea of removing anaconda from the default Test Day
> kickstart script [1]. What would it cause?
>
> + Less building problems. Anaconda dependencies are often broken
>   in Rawhide. Removing anaconda from Test Day CD would prevent
>   building problems. It would be more likely for people to
>   successfully build the CD. (When Test Day CD can't be built
>   because of dependencies problems, not everyone would think up
>   removing anaconda).
> + The image size would be a little smaller. (not a big issue)
> - It wouldn't be possible to install Rawhide from Test Day CD.
>   (Is this really a minus? How often do people install Rawhide
>   from Test Day CDs? How often do we want them to do that?
>   What if someone installs Rawhide with some heavily modified
>   packages from a Test Day, can it cause confusions in some
>   future bugreports?)
> - If we want anaconda on Test Day CD specifically, it must be
>   manually added. (not a big issue)
> * No "Install" icon on the desktop :)
>
> So what do you think? Is it/is it not worth bothering? Do we
> more often want anaconda included or have less problems when
> building it?
>
> Thanks for opinions,
> Kamil
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Test_Days/Live_Image

I think Anaconda should stay we need to expose the installer to as much
testing as possible ( AutoQA should be able to take care of kickstarts
installation testing but that certainly leaves the GUI one out which the
regular end users is exposed to ) and frankly I think the problem lies
elsewhere I sometimes have a gut feeling that Team anaconda is not quite
following the same rules and regulation as the rest of the community. I
would like the QA to receive a bit where they're at and where they're
going at the start of each release cycle so we can monitor Anaconda
progress. When AutoQA can do Anaconda GUI installation testing I think
it's safe to say we can remove it and then just have couple of Targeted
Anaconda Installation Test Day's.

JBG