F12-alpha: superblock always in future

Todd norrist at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 01:48:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 9:07 AM, sean darcy<seandarcy2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> sean darcy wrote:
>>
>> I've just installed F12 alpha. My system clock is set to local time. F12
>> must think it's set to UTC. But when I try to boot, I end up in fsck land,
>> with a last mount time in future error. If I then run fsck and reboot, I get
>> the _same_ error, but now everything is 4 hours earlier!
>>
>> How can I get it to boot?
>>
>> sean
>>
> And, FWIW, while I can't read /etc/localtime ( why is this a binary blob?)
> it ends with:
>
> EST5EDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0
>
> And:
>
> cat /etc/sysconfig/clock
> # The ZONE parameter is only evaluated by system-config-date.
> # The time zone of the system is defined by the contents of /etc/localtime.
> ZONE="America/New York"
>
> sean
>
> --

I do a lot of distro testing, and this really bugs me.  Fedora
defaults to the system clock being set to UTC instead of local time,
and resets the hardware clock to what it thinks is the correct time.
The problem is when you reboot into another distro that assumes the
system is on localtime and freaks out a bit since the file system has
time stamps in the future.  I know there are probably very good
reasons for Fedora defaulting to the system clock being UTC, and I
also know that I have the option to uncheck the box during install,
but I would really like to see the default changed.