F12-alpha: superblock always in future

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Sep 1 02:01:37 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 20:48:03 -0500,
  Todd <norrist at gmail.com> wrote:
> I do a lot of distro testing, and this really bugs me.  Fedora
> defaults to the system clock being set to UTC instead of local time,

Which is what you want. Unless your bios handles timezone changes (and gets
updated when the rules change) between standard time and daylight savings
time and can sync with time servers, you want the OS doing that in a way
that doesn't mess up other OS's. Keeping the BIOS clock in UTC is the
simplest way to do that.

> and resets the hardware clock to what it thinks is the correct time.
> The problem is when you reboot into another distro that assumes the
> system is on localtime and freaks out a bit since the file system has
> time stamps in the future.  I know there are probably very good
> reasons for Fedora defaulting to the system clock being UTC, and I
> also know that I have the option to uncheck the box during install,
> but I would really like to see the default changed.

I suggest convincing the other distros to change.

There is a way in Windows to have it use UTC as well.