some late radeon test good news

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 12 20:47:44 UTC 2009

--- On Sat, 9/12/09, Tom Horsley <tom.horsley at att.net> wrote:

> From: Tom Horsley <tom.horsley at att.net>
> Subject: some late radeon test good news
> To: "Fedora Test List" <fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 1:20 PM
> Didn't have time to fool with system
> on the official ATI test day,
> but I have just gotten some vastly improved results with
> the
> latest rawhide updates on my system with the radeon 7200:
>
> It actually boots without nomodeset and radeon.modeset=0
> (previously some sort of kernel stack trace would happen
> and
> the system would go all non-responsive).
>
> And, once X starts, it is using the right screen
> resolution
> (1920x1080) without an xorg.conf file.
>
> I don't think it is doing any mode setting even without
> the
> nomodeset boot parameter though, because everything is
> invisible
> till X actually starts - the BIOS is apparently selecting
> some funny mode to operate in which my samsung TV can't
> display
> via the hdmi connection.
>
> If I hook it to the VGA connection on the TV, it doesn't
> work quite as well as vesa. It thinks it should use
> 1024x768,
> but vesa successfully picked 1280x1024 as the default.
> The screen mode it isin most of the time during boot
> is something like 720x400 at 70HZ (very weird).
>
> If I try to run something like "neverputt", I get a
> warning
> that 3D is not supported, which isn't all that surprising,
> but
> at least 2D seems to be working well for the first time
> in a while on this ancient 7200.
>
> kernel: kernel-2.6.31-2.fc12.x86_64
> radeon driver:
> xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.13.0-0.4.20090908git651fe5a47.fc12.x86_64
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc
> Radeon R100 QD [Radeon 7200]
>
> --

I have to say that at least for you there is hope :), but the nvidia noveaux is not faring that well.  When I boot Fedora-12-Alpha-KDE spin or Fedora 12 Alpha DVD, I get errors and only see a white screen when X starts.  I tried booting in level 3, and startx, but It bombs out and returns me to shell.  I tried to save the messages, but the machine locked up and was unable to get the error messages :(, Card was an integrated Nvidia 6150 on an Emachines E1161-05

http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=ET1161-05

At home I am running Fedora 11 with nvidia driver with no problems, but I try to install rawhide on another identical machine and I get that I cannot install it.  I will try daily spins when I have a chance to see if I can install rawhide on it and keep testing from there :)

Regards,

Antonio